Like many other immigrants to this area, Jewish families began to make their home in Walla Walla as early as the mid-nineteenth century. Our synagogue community began to take shape in the 1930s when services were still held in private homes. One of these was the home of Myer and Celia Youdovitch, who arrived in Walla Walla around 1900 along with many other Jewish families of varying denominations. After the death of Myer in 1938, his wife Celia proposed the establishment of a synagogue in his name, Congregation Beth Israel Myer Youdovitch Memorial, which was incorporated in 1940. Since 1972, we have had a dedicated synagogue building on Alder Street near Pioneer Park. The synagogue is now affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism and the congregation, which consists of about 35 families, meets regularly and celebrates the major holidays.